Monday, April 5, 2010

Generally Dissatisfied?

Indeed...

The two-word phrase, “Generally Dissatisfied” popped into existence in my life one afternoon ten years ago during the course of a conversation with my cousin and friend. He was, in simple terms, describing the current state of his toddler son. As I recall, the young fellow was particularly squirmy and whiny in that moment. For some reason, it has stuck with me due to its clear perfection in describing a state of being in which nothing in particular is disturbing; rather, everything is.

In this context, it’s not necessarily a negative. For, to disturb something means simply to upset its settled state. And this, I think, is intellectually necessary if we wish to continue growing as thinking individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment